Thursday, April 16, 2009

Where should my focus be?

Tuesday night, well really Wednesday morning, I woke up sick and hurting. I took some medicine for the nausea and pain but couldn’t go back to sleep. I began to think how from the very beginning of the battle with the cancer my focus was drawn to the unseen sometimes even microscopic levels at which the battle was taking place. There was talk of chemo blocking receptors at the cellular level. The radiation was attacking the DNA of the cancer cells. All focus was on this level that I could not see but for some reason I could easily imagine it. Although I can’t see the actual battle, that night I sure was feeling the effects of it. I couldn’t tell which side was winning but I knew the battleground was taking a beating! Then the question came, “Tom, is that where your attention should be?” Yes there is a battle going on at the microscopic level but there is also one raging in the spiritual realm that I should be much more concerned about.

Finally, be strengthened by the Lord and by His vast strength. Put on the full armor of God so that you can stand against the tactics of the Devil. For our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the world powers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens. This is why you must take up the full armor of God, so that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having prepared everything, to take your stand. Stand, therefore, with truth like a belt around your waist, righteousness like armor on your chest, and your feet sandaled with readiness for the gospel of peace. In every situation take the shield of faith, and with it you will be able to extinguish the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is God's word. With every prayer and request, pray at all times in the Spirit, and stay alert in this, with all perseverance and intercession for all the saints. (Eph 6:10-18)

Isn’t it just like Satan to focus our attention on the minor issues so that we will neglect the major issues. He loves to shift our focus from our Savior to our situation. If we allow Satan to turn the microscopic into a mountain, how does that affect our view of God? The great news is Jesus has me covered in the microscopic battle and in the spiritual battle!

because by Him everything was created, in heaven and on earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and by Him all things hold together. (Col 1:16-17)

As I begin to focus on the microscopic things of life I need help to refocus on the Majesty of God.  From time to time I need to hear Elisha’s words.

Elisha said, "Don't be afraid, for those who are with us outnumber those who are with them." Then Elisha prayed, "LORD, please open his eyes and let him see." So the LORD opened the servant's eyes. He looked and saw that the mountain was covered with horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. (2Ki 6:16-17)

Lord, please keep my eyes open and open the eyes of whoever might read this. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Love it. You encourage me with your words. I was so glad to see you at Stonecrest those few minutes. Know people are praying for you. God is with you in the midst of it all .do you remember Robbie Dalton from Edgemont? He told me " know that you know". He was talking about salvation! Those words encourage me in times of doubt because I know that I know who's on my side!!!

    ReplyDelete